COVID19 Band Guidelines
Summer Band Camp Guidelines #4
July 19th, 2020
In order to maintain a safe environment for band students, families, and staff, the following guidelines are required to be followed in order to operate on LaVergne High School property. Please note these guidelines are subject to change based on public health agency recommendations.
General Rules: La Vergne Band
General Rules: La Vergne Band
1. Only participating band students, band booster members, teachers, and staff directly involved in marching band may attend rehearsals. No spectators.
2. Prior to beginning marching band practice, all students and staff will be screened with the following questions.
These questions will be asked individually and not in a group setting.
a. Have you been in close contact with a confirmed case of COVID-19?
b. Are you experiencing a cough, shortness of breath or sore throat?
c. Have you had a fever in the last 48 hours?
d. Have you had a new loss of taste or smell?
e. Have you had vomiting or diarrhea in the last 24 hours?
f. Are you experiencing muscle pain?
g. Are you experiencing chills?
3. A no-touch thermometer temperatures will be taken each rehearsal. A participant or staff member will be excused from marching band rehearsal and events if his/her temperature exceeds 100.4 degrees Fahrenheit.
4. Flexible attendance will be ordered to avoid sick individuals from attending events. Students will be offered a home exercises or activities for the student to complete.
5. Social distancing of at least six feet will be maintained between all band students, band directors, and staff.
6. Sections will be broken into groups of no more than 25; spaced at least six feet apart on the sides, while utilizing the following locations at LHS: band room, choir room, main gym, juniors parking lot, and auditorium. All practice arears will be cleaned post practice daily. While outside, bands can work in group sizes up to 50 members of the band. All participants must remain spaced at least six feet apart on all sides. Four 8x5 steps on all sides (as in a traditional fundamental block) is appropriate spacing.
7. LHS will provide disinfectant spray for the band department. Band students will be encouraged to wash hands or use hand sanitizer. Alcohol swabs and/or disinfectant solution will be made available to disinfect mouthpieces and equipment after each use. Extra bottle of disinfected will be kept in order for students to clean materials.
8. Shared instruments must be disinfected between users.
9. All band students will be encouraged to where a face mask or shield. Masks are encouraged while not playing. Masks with small slits for mouthpieces can be worn when possible and available.
10. If any band student later identified as being positive for COVID-19, Mr. Callahan will contact Dr. Hatchet, who in turn, must contact Sarah Winters, the Health and Homebound Services Supervisor, as soon as possible.
11. All band room doors will remain open to allow increase ventilation. One-way traffic flow will be used based on entrance and exit.
12. All band students will be encouraged to enter the instrument storage room in shifts to avoid contact. All dressing should occur at home, and all items must be taken home daily for cleaning.
13. All marching band students are required to have a physical before July 15th, 2020.
14. Band students should have their own instrument, mouthpiece, reeds, and other equipment. Any students who share instruments between groups will be assigned their own mouthpieces. It is preferable for percussionists to use their own sticks and mallets.
15. Any school-owned equipment, such as sticks and mallets, music stands, color guard equipment, etc. should be wiped down and disinfected after each use.
16. Band students, staff and band directors will follow basic instrument cleaning and maintenance techniques as described in the NFHS cleaning guidelines found here: https://www.nfhs.org/articles/covid-19-instrumentcleaning-guidelines/ Band students will have access to necessary cleaning and maintenance tools that are not shared, including cleaning rods, swabs, mouthpiece brushes, etc.
17 Water - Students are encouraged to have their own water cooler, drinking directly from the water fountain will be discourage. Water bottles are also not to be shared with others. Any water provided should be single-serving water bottles (rather than community water coolers)
18. Students are to bring their own lunch and snacks with them for band camp and should not share their food with others. Students must maintain social distance of 6 feet while eating lunch.
19. Trombone players should have an extra three feet of space between themselves and the person in front of them (at least nine feet)
20. Bell coverings are encouraged, especially with indoors.
21. Spit valves should not be emptied inside on the floor.
22. Sitting/standing in straight lines (rather than curved lines) is recommended, especially when inside.